Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Random thoughts......and cake.

Crap...I did it again. Missed yesterday. This is really harder than it looks. Especially on busy days when I have to drive to the far side of Boise to take my son to hockey practice since his truck broke down. :( Since I don't have a lot to talk about, just some random updates today...

I had to break down and make a doctor appointment for my shoulder for next week. My shoulder has been giving me problems off & on for a very long time now and more recently it's just in constant pain. Both my mom and my dad had to have surgery on their shoulders because of rotator cuff problems so it makes me nervous. Kind of like having both decks stacked against you. I've put it off for way too long, but you know it's time to see the doctor when it hurts to get dressed in the morning. I'm sure I'll keep you posted on how that all goes.

Last night I had a very nice ending to my day via a heart to heart talk with my son. He is the one who initiated the conversation and it I won't go into details because that conversation was between him & I and I don't want to be blathering on about it all over the internet. But the best part about the WHOLE conversation was at the end. He had been lying down on his bed during our talk and when I stopped talking at one point I just looked at him and asked if he had anything else he wanted to talk about. He sat up in his bed & scooted close to me and said, "No you can just give me a hug now." Then he wrapped his arms around me and gave me the tightest, longest hug I've had from him in ages. (And the first one initiated by him in I don't know how long.) I told him that I love him and he said, "I know...I love you too." Just a few words, but they were some of the best I've heard in a long time.

I've been thinking lately about making cakes. No, seriously. When I was little my mom took a class through the local Parks & Recreation program and learned how to make cakes. My memory is a little foggy, but I seem to recall her making cakes for people, probably to make a little extra money on the side. She made wedding cakes, birthday cakes and even an entire fleet of little ladybug cakes (There's a picture somewhere of all of them sitting on a long table in our garage.) With that in mind, the other day I ran across the show "Amazing Wedding Cakes" on WE this weekend. (I actually sat through 2 whole episodes!)











Some of these (actually most if not all of these) cakes rock!! For some reason my absolute favorite (shown in the video above) was the Birch tree cake made by the Cakegirls. If I could make cakes like that I'd quit my day job.

No comments: