Thursday, May 20, 2010

"Wait Here Honey, Mommy Has To Pee...."

When I was out this evening with my husband at our local JC Penney, I ducked into the restroom for a moment and was immediately perplexed by something I saw....

I'm glad no one else was there because I must have looked like an idiot, standing there staring at this little seat attached to the wall.  It's positioned right next to (and below) the Koala baby changing station.

Okay, obviously it's for a very small child.  It even has instructions for the "proper use":

But what I want to know is....why?  Are you supposed to strap your kid onto the wall to keep your hands free so you can go pee?  Is this in case you have twins, so you can strap one kid down while you're changing the other one and then switch?  
My son is turning 18 next month so it's been quite a while since I had to worry about such things as where to put my child while I'm using a public restroom.  (Insert some ridiculous statement here like, "Back in my day we just strapped our kid to our back and carried him around everywhere--shopping, working, gardening...We didn't have all of these fancy new-fangled gadgets to help lessen the load.")  So someone help me out here....what is this for?  Am I missing the obvious?  Am I just not up-to-date on all of the latest child rearing practices?  Please....enlighten me....

3 comments:

Tanyia Velez said...

Hmmm... that would look weird if a kid was strapped to the wall... like some sort of punishment or something.

I think most stores would have a larger stall so they can just wheel in the stroller, have space and privacy.

Nice to see you on blogspot.

BusyB said...

Ha I have seen those to and just like you I think I stood there with my mouth open then started to laugh! I can only imagine having my kido sit there she would not like it : ) I am with Tanyia at that little of an age Strollers are the best you are already most likly using one! ahh lol!

Anonymous said...

You know I never actually thought of them out of the normal honestly. I have two children both small, and it seems weird but they've actually came in handy. Mostly the times when I forgot the stroller, or husband has one child outside of the bathroom and I have one changing and so I could potty. You don't want to sit them on the floor. My favorties are in the family restrooms and they have super tiny toilets, now that my youngest is 2 there her favorite.